Oracle puts Java apps on iPads and iPhones
iOS does not naturally run Java apps, whereas Android apps are often written in the language. A month ago, Google released a tool for converting Java source code into iOS-friendly Objective C, as a way of helping developers code for both platforms at once.
However, Oracle’s updated Application Development Framework (ADF) Mobile extension — unveiled on Monday — uses a Java Virtual Machine (JVM) to support the write-once-for-multiple-platforms concept.
ADF Mobile development is accomplished through declarative development with XML, Java technology, CSS3, and SOAP/REST web services. This minimizes the learning curve, as enterprises tend to have such development skills readily available.
“Oracle ADF Mobile is tightly integrated with the Oracle Fusion Middleware product portfolio, supports Oracle Fusion Applications, and can easily integrate non-Oracle-based applications,” Oracle application development tools chief Chris Tonas said in a statement.
ADF Mobile uses the same declarative programming model as Oracle’s standard application development framework, and the company says this should speed up development.
Features and Benefits
- Extend Oracle Enterprise and Fusion Application to mobile devices
- Develop once, deploy to multiple mobile device platforms including iOS and Android
- Protects against mobile platform shifts through a hybrid mobile application architecture
- Fast development through visual & declarative application development
- Increase productivity & reduce maintenance costs with a rich library of prebuilt, proven components
- Support for both on-device and browser-based mobile applications
- Develop and reuse application logic in Java for cross platform portability
- Deep access to native device services, such as phone, SMS, camera, GPS and more
- Supports both real-time and offline data access
- Offline support using SQLite – encryption included
- Consistent experiences between desktop-based and mobile application development
- Build secure mobile applications with end-to-end encryption on a proven platform